Guildford Ave, Sheffield S2 2PL
Norfolk Heritage Park, which is Grade II listed, was one of the country’s first free to enter public park when it opened in 1848. Over 100 miles by road from the county of Norfolk, its name is explained by the fact that the land originally belonged to the Duke of Norfolk, though some confusion could have been avoided by calling the football team that was based there in the 1800s, something like Sheffield Manor rather than Norfolk FC.
Originally part of the hunting estate of Sheffield Manor, it is now a popular destination for family days out and special events in an area of Sheffield somewhat lacking in other green spaces. Particular highlights include the annual bonfire and Sheffield Fayre – a celebration of outdoor pursuits, wildlife and history which typically takes place on the late August bank holiday weekend.
The visitor centre “The Centre in the Park” was created in the extensive refurbishment of the park which took place in the late 20th / early 21st century, and offers a wide range of accessibility options for disabled visitors, as well as light catering facilities, toilets, a conference facility. There are extensive educational resources detailing the long history of the site and the Sheffield area, including the local wildlife. There are play areas, including a brand new adventure playground and crèche facilities.
The Jervis Lum woodland, donated to the city by the Duke of Norfolk in 1956, offers not only a peaceful area to walk in, but also a haven for wildlife. The Friends of Norfolk Heritage Park website offers regular updates on species which have been spotted
Sited in amongst some of Sheffield’s most populous areas, the park is served local buses. By a tram stop on the Arbourthorne Road, and is only a mile’s interesting walk from Sheffield’s central train station.