South Parade, Bath BA2 4AF
St John The Evangelist Church is a Gothic-style church which is situated in the south-east of Bath. The church was originally built by the Benedictines and, in 1932, was handed to the Diocese of Clifton where it was damaged heavily during the war, meaning that part of the church had to be rebuilt.
For over 150 years, the church has worshipped the Catholic faith and performs both prayer and healing to those who worship here.
The church has regular services during the week and offers the following sacraments – baptism, marriage, first holy communion, sick calls to the housebound and catechesis.
The church runs lots of community activities, including working with local schools and other churches. The Children’s Liturgy of the Word meet twice a month with activities linked to Gospel studies through singing, colouring, acting, discussions, crafts and listening to stories.
St John The Evangelist Church supports its volunteers and welcomes new volunteers for many different roles within the church.
The church has a choir, named St John’s Festival Choir, which was founded in 1963. The choir is made up of 25 members, who perform at Sunday mass and many other church and religious events across the year.
The church has a three-manual Walker Organ, which was designed in 1966 for a university, but was then rebuilt with additional features for St John’s in 2005.
St John The Evangelist Church has a tradition of working closely with surrounding churches and the wider community, in order to serve the common good and support the City of Bath and its religious network.
There are lots of community projects which the church run including St John’s Soup Run and Bath Nightstop, which both aim to help homelessness and provide a service to those who need support.