Franklins Gardens Weedon Road, Northampton NN5 5BG
Franklin’s Gardens is the home stadium of the Northampton Saints rugby club. The stadium itself has a capacity of 15,249. There are four stands which surround the pitch, these are; Carlsberg Stand, Elite Insurance Stand, Church’s Stand and Barwell Stand.
Through the years, Franklin’s Gardens has changed hugely. Originally, the gardens were known as Melbourne gardens and were used as gardens which were created by John Collier. After his death, John Franklin bought the gardens and renamed them Franklin’s Gardens in 1886.
The Northampton Brewery Company bought the gardens in 1888 and introduced a running track, bicycle track, cricket ground, swimming pool, bear pit and a large lake. A larger Zoo was also created.
The Saints moved to Franklin’s Gardens and temporary stands were used to increase the capacity to 10,000. In the 70’s, the stadium was known as one of the finest rugby grounds in the country, and in 2001 there was the largest investment of £6 million to create permanent stands and a complete re-build.
Franklin’s Garden is not just a venue for sports, there is lots happening at the venue all year-round including conferences, self-catered events, wakes, weddings and Christmas parties. There is even fine dining at Franklin’s Garden too.
There is a 600-capacity conference room available, along with over 40 pitch side meeting rooms and 10 dedicated event spaces. With over 1500 parking spaces at the venue, Franklin’s Garden has everything you need for a large or small event.
There are music events at the stadium throughout the year too, with artists such as Lionel Richie playing here. Of course, there are sporting events such as the Anglo-Welsh Cup final, Premiership Rugby Sevens and England under 20’s rugby fixtures.
Franklin’s Garden has changed over the years, but it has remained one of Northampton’s most loved venues.